Saturday 5 July 2014

What a prick.

Thursday:
Pre-op assessment.
Including:
- Health questionnaire (history, allergies, lifestyle etc.)
- Blood pressure and temperature
- B...b...blood tttest.... *sobs uncontrollably*

All for a good cause though. So everyone keeps reminding me, but they're not the one being injected with a sharp piece of metal to extract vials of my blood which should naturally stay inside me.

So after the pressure and temperature tests were done, my history and life assessed ('If you had to walk non-stop on a flat surface, how many miles could you walk?' 'erm...lots?'), the time had arrived.

Off the jumper came, flesh bared. Deep breath. Credit to the lovely nurse, trying to calm me down, but by this time, I was very much a lost cause.

Fast forward 30 minutes, and it was over. Not. 30 minutes later, there had been three different attempts to take blood (the best Doctor in the place called in to 'take a stab at it'), and no blood. Not a drop.

'You might be dehydrated, we can't seem to get any blood out of you. Can you come back Saturday? Make sure you drink a lot!'.

Superb.

Saturday:

2 litres of water inside me, and I was ready. Inject me Nursy Nurse!

Fast forward 20 minutes, three injections later, and we'd filled up half the vials necessary. 'You've got such tiny veins! Try and relax, you've got too much adrenaline and they keep hiding away, it's really difficult to do'.

25 minutes later, three more injections, and we'd filled 4 out of the 6 vials.

They gave up after that.

Given that a syringe had to be used to drag the ever so reluctant blood they did manage to get out of me, it was decided that it just weren't playin'. The last two vials were only needed as a back up anyway, so screw it, they said.

Need(le)less to say, I was fairly delighted.

Superb. Superb times six. Actually superb times nine, including Thursday too. I'm fairly sure if I drank 2 litres of water now, I'd look like some sort of sprinkler given the amount of needle holes in me now.

I just can't wait for Tuesday's operation when they attempt to put the drip in my hand...

However, there is a silver lining to be found here. Heroine addict is off the cards. And I mean, that's always good right?

No doubt the next time I write I will be one organ lighter. So... till next time reader!



P.s. Oh, did I mention I graduated Uni? With a First. Say whatttttt.

No comments:

Post a Comment